Sunday, September 20, 2009

Visual Thinking Research

The first puzzle I chose was Starry Sky. Unfortunately, I was not able to solve this puzzle and always ended up with one star missing. I kept trying different ways to connect the stars to see if I could eventually get all the stars with six lines. I tried both diagonals and straight lines. The image above is one of my attempts at solving the puzzle.

After sharing results with my friend, we realized we were both unable to solve the puzzle. She also had one star missing most of the time and the above is the one she got closest to. We both were missing the same star at the end. She said she was trying to use the lines to get the most stars possible and never stopped short. The answer was to make longer lines that extended passed the edge of the stars to get it under six lines.

For the second puzzle, I tried a counting the triangles that is similar to the counting the squares in class puzzle. The strategy I used here was to count all the smallest triangles, then moved up to the next biggest one, and kept going like that until I got to the largest triangles. Totally, I got 32 triangles but the answer was actually 44 triangles.

My friend got the correct number of triangles. She said she also counted the smallest triangles first and then went up to the larger ones. I found what I was missing: I forgot to reverse the triangles for the medium sized triangles to double count them.

No comments:

Post a Comment